- Chapter 11 Reorganizations
- Creditor Representations
Marc J. Winthrop is a partner of Winthrop Golubow Hollander, LLP. He has substantial experience representing debtors, creditors, creditors’ committees, and asset purchasers in complex Chapter 11 reorganizations.
Marc lectures extensively for the California Continuing Education of the Bar, Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, University of Southern California Extension, and University of California Extension on bankruptcy and business reorganization.
He has also published several articles for the California Continuing Education of the Bar and the California Bankruptcy Journal. Marc holds an “AV” Peer Rating, Martindale-Hubbell’s highest peer recognition for legal ability and ethical standards.
Marc’s peers have repeatedly recognized him as one of The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law in addition to being voted by his peers as “Lawyer of the Year” in 2012.
Marc has also been selected by the publishers of Los Angeles Magazine as a Super Lawyer, representing the top 5% of practicing attorneys in Southern California based on peer recognition and professional achievement.
Marc was admitted to the State Bar of California in 1974; the U.S. District Court, Central District of California in 1974; and the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California.
Marc obtained his undergraduate degree (B.A., 1969) and law degree (J.D., 1974) from the University of California at Los Angeles, where he graduated with high distinction as a member of the Order of the Coif and the University of California at Los Angeles Law Review.
Marc is a member of the Board of Governors, the Financial Lawyers Conference, and the American Bar Association (Business Bankruptcy Committee).
- Co-Author, “How Far Will Good Faith Get You in the Ninth Circuit After Clear Channel?,” American Bankruptcy Institute Newsletter (Volume 6, No. 3 March 2009)
- Co-Author, “Off the Deep End-The Demise of ‘Deeping Insolvency,” American Bankruptcy Institute, 2007
- Co-Author, “How Not to Get Clobbered by Catapult! Ride Through the Unassumed Executory Contract,” ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee, 2003
- Author, “Insolvency and the Boardroom,” Orange County Business Journal 2002
- Chapter 11 Plan Confirmation, Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, 1995
- Toward a Less than Absolute Priority Rule for Small Business Reorganizations; Reforming the New Value Exception”, California Bankruptcy Journal 59, January, 1990
- Post Confirmation Issues: When a Confirmed Plan Doesn’t Go Accord to Plan”, Financial Lawyers Conference, 1989
- Debtor in Possession Financing and Cash Collateral”, Continuing Education of the Bar, 1988
Classes/Seminars Taught/Speaking Engagements
- “Let’s Make a Deal! Negotiation and Mediation: Tips and Techniques from the Experts, 2015, Orange County Bankruptcy Forum
- Panelist, “Strategies for and Challenges to Reorganizing Not-for-Profit Entities,” California Bankruptcy Forum Annual Conference, 2012
- Moderator, “Bankruptcy Sales, Free and Clear of Successor Liability,” ABI Bankruptcy Battleground West, 2009
- Bankruptcy Practice for Paralegals, University of Southern California Extension, 1985
- Buying and Selling the Troubles Company Charting a Course Through New Hazards and Challenges,” California Bankruptcy Forum Annual Conference, 2008
- Moderator, “The Vicinity of Insolvency: Recent Developments on the Ethical and Fiduciary Duties of Officers, Directors and Other Parties,” ABI Bankruptcy Battleground West, 2007
- Panelist, “How the New Bankruptcy Law Will Impact Your Business Clients,” The Federal Bar Association and Orange County Bankruptcy Forum Joint Program 2005
- Panelist, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges (ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee), 2003
- “Topics in Executory Contracts,” Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, 2003
- Panelist, Problem Loan Seminar, 2002
- Panelist, “Expert Witnesses in Bankruptcy Trials,” California CPA Education Foundation, 2002
- Panelist, California Bankruptcy Forum, Recent Developments Program, 2001
- Moderator/Panelist, “Current Developments in Commercial Law,” California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1999
- Moderator/Panelist, “Current Developments in Bankruptcy,” California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1992 through 1998
- Panelist, “Bailing Out the Sinking Partnership,” Financial Lawyers Conference, 1992
- Panelist, “Bankruptcy Appeals,” Orange County Bankruptcy Forum, 1990
- Panelist, “The Chapter 11 Plan Confirmation Process,” Orange County Bankruptcy Forum 1990
- Co-Moderator, “Selected Issues in Bankruptcy and Reorganization”(Advanced Course), California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1989
- Panelist, “Counseling Creditors of Distressed Business Before and During Bankruptcy; Loan Workouts and Chapter 11 Proceedings, “California Continuing Education of the Bar 1988
- “Fundamentals of Bankruptcy,” California Continuing Education of the Bar, 1986
- “Practice Under the Bankruptcy Code,” California Continuing Education for the Bar, 1983
Honors And Awards
- Inducted as a Fellow of The American College of Bankruptcy in 2005
- Recipient of the 2007 Peter M. Elliot Award
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California (J.D., 1974; Honors With High Distinction as a member of the Order of the Coif; UCLA Law Review)
- University of California, Los Angeles, California, (B.A., 1969; Departmental Honors)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1975
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1975
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Bankruptcy
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Financial Lawyers Conference
- Federal Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Orange County Bankruptcy Forum
- American Bar Association
- Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Turnaround Management Association
- International Network of Boutique Law Firms